Frequently Asked Questions
Who can volunteer?
Are there age limits?
Do I need building experience to volunteer?
What are the volunteer hours?
What will I be expected to do on the building site?
What do I need to take with me?
It gets hot on the site so you should bring a hat and sunscreen. We advise wearing long sleeves for sun protection. We require you to wear closed-in shoes and to wear modest clothes – cover shoulders and no short shorts to respect the Cambodian culture. We supply water for all volunteers.
When can I volunteer?
How long does a house build take?
How much does a house cost?
It costs US$3000 to build a VBC house. Our houses have concrete footings to protect houses from termites. They are solid timber houses (although we are investigating more sustainable options) with a tin roof and concrete base under the house.
Do I have to raise money for a whole house?
How safe is it to volunteer in Cambodia?
How do I volunteer?
What else do I need to know?
- Volunteers are responsible for their cost of travel to Cambodia and within Cambodia. VBC will provide transport to the building site.
- Volunteers must organise their own visa.
- Volunteers must have valid travel insurance.
- You will be responsible for organising your own lunch and dinner every day.
How can I help from afar?
- Make a cash donation
- Hold a fundraising event of your own or with your friends or colleagues
- Spread the word about VBC and our projects
- Donate essential items like tools, books, safety clothing (check with our team and we can tell you what is most needed at the time).